Remember the burning Galaxy S III? You can relax now, Samsung users
Concerns over the safety of Samsung’s newest iPhone competitor, the Galaxy S III, in the wake of a burning phone in Ireland a few weeks ago have now been assuaged.
Samsung initiated an investigation a few weeks ago when an Irish user complained that his smartphone had combusted and melted in a car docking station.
Writing on an online forum, he said, “I'm really annoyed. That could have burned the side of my face or through my pocket and my leg, or set fire to my bed. It's very dangerous.”
But all was not as it seemed, as it now turns out that the device overheated only after being cooked for a while in a microwave.
A statement from investigating body Fire Investigations UK declared, “The only way it was possible to produce damage similar to the damage recorded within the owner's damaged device was to place the devices or component parts within a domestic microwave.”
Stick with us, it gets even better.
And his reasons for microwaving the phone? Well, it appears to have been a seriously misjudged attempt to recover the device from, eh, water damage.
On one level we suppose the ploy worked, because water damage soon became the least of the problems affecting his gooey new handset.
Lesson learned, eh?