Healthy Recipe: Pasta with Tomato pesto
This week we're looking at a tasty, yet healthy, pasta with tomato pesto recipe that is perfect for vegetarians and meat lovers alike.
We know there are some of you out there that don’t like to eat meat, and that’s okay with us. So here’s a recipe that’s literally made for vegetarians. However, all you have to do is throw a breast of chicken or some mince in there and it’s perfect for meat lovers too (however, you may have to add on some extra ProPoints).
Pasta with Tomato pesto
8 ProPoints values per serving (32 ProPoints per recipe)
Takes 5 minutes to prepare and 20 minutes to cook
What you need:
20g sun-dried tomatoes, cut into strips
About 300ml boiling water
50g pine nut kernels
200g dried pasta shapes e.g. penne, or the ones shaped like footballs
2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
Juice and zest of half a lemon
2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
8 cherry tomatoes, halved
2 handfuls of rocket leaves
What to do:
1) Start off by putting the sun-dried tomatoes in a small pan. Next, pour over enough boiling water to cover them, then bring the pot to the boil and simmer for 5 minutes. Drain the water from the pan, but make sure to leave two tablespoons of the liquid.
2) Meanwhile, in a small frying pan, dry fry the pine nut kernels for 2-3 minutes, stirring regularly. You can stop once they’re golden in colour.
3) Bring a large pan of water to the boil and add the pasta. Then cook for 10-12 minutes or for as long as the packet tells you to. Drain well and return to the pan.
4) Meanwhile, place the soaked tomatoes and pine nut kernels in a small food processor or liquidiser and blend to a rough paste. Add in your olive oil, lemon juice, lemon zest and parsley. Then blend once again.
5) Toss the pesto into the pasta and stir through with the cherry tomatoes and reserved soaking liquid. Warm your pasta over a low heat and once it’s ready, divide the pasta into warm bowls and serve with a piece of rocket on top.
Here is a little Weight Watcher tip that you might like to try...
To give your pesto an extra kick, add half a teaspoon of chilli flakes for no additional ProPoints values.