Roberto Martinez to announce his managerial future on Tuesday
Will he stay or will he go? Wigan boss and Liverpool managerial target Roberto Martinez is set to announce his future this coming Tuesday.
The 38-year-old Spaniard met with the Reds' US owners this past Thursday in Miami and ever since then, Wigan chairman Dave Whelan has been extremely vocal on how the meeting went and when he wants the Latics manager to deliver his decision.
"They're going to talk again on Tuesday," Whelan told Sky Sports News this past Friday. "They've made Roberto an offer and he has agreed to consider it.
"He is also aware that I have said 'I'd love to keep you but I need a decision by Wednesday or Thursday of next week," Whelan added.
It now appears as though Whelan and Martinez are sticking to the Tuesday deadline, as the Daily Telegraph understands that Martinez -who has not yet made up his mind - has given himself until Tuesday to make a decision.
If true, the news would suggest that the Wigan boss is Fenway Sports Group's number one choice for the vacant managerial role at Anfield, though reports continue to circulate that Andre Villas-Boas and Brendan Rodgers are also being considered.
Asked prior to yesterday's 1-0 defeat of Norway whether he would support Martinez as his new manager, Liverpool's Steven Gerrard replied: "I'm aware Roberto Martinez has been talking to the club but all I've heard about him is positive. If he is going to be the manager he's got my full support."